Friday, October 24, 2008

Week #7 task #16 "So what's in a wiki?"

I was not sure what I was supposed to have learned after I had completed this assignment. The concept of a wiki is great, but I needed more structure to the assignment. The SJCPL Subject Guidelines was interesting, but limited in scope. It also was not easy to use. Part of the problem was that it required a connection that was much faster and reliable than the one I had available.

The Book Lovers wiki begs the question: “Why?” It did not appear to be well used, and it was boring. The Library Success: a Best Practices Wiki was somewhat better. Although it was still rather dull, it was well laid out, easy to negotiate, and had some good content.

I can see a wiki used to enhance the programming at a library. Handouts and explanatory materials could be stored on the wiki and downloaded by anyone who was interested. Comment could be made, and it would be a great avenue for discussion.

No comments: