Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Safety and privacy in cyberspace

The current laws concerning privacy in cyberspace are inadequate. This is a classic example of technology out pacing society’s ability to regulate it. Currently the concept of privacy online is poorly defined. We never who is collection information about us, or how it will be used. Once something gets into the cloud, it has a life of its own. My philosophy is to give out as little information as possible.

There is no such thing as absolute safety, much less absolute online safety. Life is inherently unsafe. You have to realize that the safer something is, the less freedom it offers. If I venture online, I have to accept the fact that I will not always be safe, and it is my responsibility to watch out for myself.

No comments: